Sunday, February 7, 2010

It's ON

I have officially started my first pair of mittens. I chose the Minnesota Mittens from Folk Mittens by Marcia Lewandowski. So far it has involved learning a technique - tvåändsstickning (also called twined knitting, it's a Swedish two-end knitting that gives you a very tight, windproof fabric). Thank goodness for YouTube and Ravelry! Tvåändsstickning is still a bit tricky, as I haven't figured out a good way to keep the two ends of the yarn from becoming hopelessly tangled every couple of rounds, but man, are these going to be some warm mittens! I will hopefully have them finished before my ski trip the first week of March.

I've also had to figure out what the heck a thumb gore is and how to knit one. I think I'm doing ok, but I guess we'll see for sure by tomorrow.

While searching for videos on these new techniques, I came across the following video. It made me giggle and I just had to share. Happy knitting!

4 comments:

  1. Karhu bought a tvåändstickning kit last summer in Sweden - can't wait to see how they turn out! I'm sure you'll inspire her to do hers, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just trying to figure out the tvåändstickning, need it for the Solf-mittens. Tried three times. Didn´t work out. Desperate. The booklet from Sweden last summer doesn´t help. Need to check YouTube...

    ReplyDelete